Mary Lim

Sunday, September 28, 2014

random: phenakistoscopes

I ran across this while searching for ways to push my idea for my second poem, "A Centre in a Table." I was so intrigued by these little animations! I'm thinking of "animating" type using this method, where it'll move around the circle, however I'm still not sure how I'm going to utilize it with type. 

Anyhow, since I've taken a recent interest in optical illusions, I thought this would be fun to experiment with. It also goes along with Stein's poetry, where everything "is not what it seems." Phenakistoscopes are really just little drawings for each slice of the circle, but when it's turned, it appears to be moving. Where ambiguous figure-ground tricks the eye, Stein also tricks the mind with her writings. 









No comments:

Post a Comment