Mary Lim

Monday, November 24, 2014

typ3: typeface progress

For the past few days, I've been in a slump. As always at the beginning of each project, I tried to jam in as much content and concepts as I could into one idea. I thought that my typeface should refer back to the concept of text and image, that it should explore the nuances of typography, that it should be unique and be something out of my comfort zone. With all these thoughts in my head, it was hard to take action, and I simply looked up typeface examples for inspiration. 

Once I did start designing in fontstruct, however, suddenly I couldn't decide on one direction. In the spur of the moment, I was reminded of the typeface, Karloff. Contradictory and having high contrast, I finally knew what idea to go with. I'm still deciding on the name of the typeface below...maybe "Gadfly" (a person who disrupts the status quo?). I gathered pictures of photos that seem normal, however, when looked at more closely, the context and subjects in the photo do not make sense at all. I printed them out, in hopes of cutting them, but my printer was out of black ink. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the effect. Just as my typeface emphasizes the "wrong" parts of the letterforms, the spare body parts and limbs attached to the letters below solidify the idea of displacement and manipulation. 









No comments:

Post a Comment