Mary Lim

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

ia: collection


THE IDEA
I wanted the collection website to be both personal and meaningful, but organized and informational. As someone who does not share much about myself, people have often told me I need to get out of my shell and express myself more freely.

I've always been a hoarder, ever since I was little. I kept everything, from glass bottles and rocks to drawings my friends made or doodles from middle school. One thing I continue to collect until today is cards and letters.

My website will organize and chart all my letters/cards dating back to grade school. Though I'm not sure as to what the infographs will contain, I do have some ideas: infographs of the people who sent them, what time period it was in, a timeline of all the letters I've received, how many words/letters are in it, an analysis of handwritings and diction, a map of connections/links to other letters, etc.

Here's the first batch of letters (the others are arriving tomorrow afternoon):


INSPIRATION
Marian Bantjes - Valentines

150 Valentines - Marian Bantjes
the idea of creating a valentine's for each person is endearing to me. maybe I can create something for each person who sent a letter? 

 Martin Venezky - Hot Rod - Process

martin venezky combined scans and writings with photographs for the book, Hot Rod. this interesting combination created a visual language that was rich in content and clean in appearance.

Letters of Note - compiled by Shaun Usher
description of book on their website:
"Letters of note is an attempt to gather and sort fascinating letters, postcards, telegrams, faxes, and memos."




OTHER IDEAS
-paper mache figurines from The Reading Reptile
-walt whitman's poetry
-children's books
-old photographs
-national geographic pictures
-old paint tubes that my mom has
-mom's recipes
-sheet music
-orchestral scores
-textile patterns
-fabric types
-zoa's bone collection
-recordings of people's laughs
-rocks





No comments:

Post a Comment