Mary Lim

Monday, September 07, 2015

ds: final logo

key words
antique but fresh
refined but friendly
ornate yet simple

This logo involves many paradoxes; old but new, ornate but simple, refined but friendly. The most difficult aspect of designing for the Steamboat Arabia Museum was capturing and pulling from qualities on opposite ends of the spectrum. Though this logo seems to favor the formal, academic look, the play on image using figure-ground makes the logo a little more whimsical, especially with the combination of the ornate typeface. On to application! 




1 comment:

  1. I think you made a good choice for your final refinement. I worry the maroon and other dark tones make it feel more old fashioned and stodgy (instead of the fresh take on historic subject matter). The pastels are working nicely and feel friendly and surprisingly modern. Kerning btwn B+A feels a little loose. Overall, I think this is a good mark but I wonder if it's possible to take a few steps back and simplify. I'm glad you're customizing and adding details... but the SBAM logo you showed in working crit had a beautiful simplicity to balance the decorative letter forms (although maybe slightly under-cooked). Try dialing back a bit. On a side note. I still think you could develop an alternative to the SBAM logo that features the water-wheel icon without the SBAM. I know time is tight, so I'll leave it up to you. I think you're making good headway. With a little more refinement I think you'll be in a good place. Interested to see the other elements of your brand take shape.

    ReplyDelete