Mary Lim

Monday, February 01, 2016

spatial: alice

Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass is a goldmine of possible ideas, which explains its relevance even after 150 years. While this book is not the only book that has survived this long, a unique aspect of this story is the wide range of mediums it's been referenced in. After I read the book myself, I realized why it's maintained its status as an influential novel: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has all the ingredients for an unforgettable story. From strange, iconic characters (the Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter, the Queen, the Gryphon...to an unhinged imagined world where anything is possible, Alice in Wonderland acts as a launching point for inspiration.

In other words, I am so excited about this project!

So so many different renditions of Alice in Wonderland, but here's three that I like:

Lisbeth Zwerger
Tove Jansson

John Vernon Lord

I also have three ideas*

*SECRET HOTEL
a place to escape from reality
I'm learning toward this direction because of the branding possibilities.

*SCIENCE MUSEUM (OPTICAL ILLUSIONS)
learn how Alice may NOT have been in Wonderland, but in reality
(how nothing is as it seems in real-life)

*KIDS' INTERACTIVE LEARNING TOOL
a tool for kids to learn basic skills through Alice's adventures

Elements I definitely want to include/Inspiration:
+The feel of James Turrell's Installations (full immersion of it, whole new environments)



+A playful way to spark curiosity
826CHI's store, The Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply Co. (or Boring Store)
on some sites, a link to the store redirects you to a weird Japanese site, which I thought was so endearing.

http://www.826chi.org/shop/

+tents
I really like the idea of temporary, nomadic shelters.






No comments:

Post a Comment