Mary Lim

Friday, February 05, 2016

week 2: 3d printing is...

cooool it's cool

FEBRUARY 1–5

a week in a paragraph
Still currently lost at the moment, but less lost than last week. I've mostly been researching about museum environmental design and interactive design. My 3D printing class has been informing what I want to do and what's possible, and I talked with Steve Whitacre about my idea. Whitacre reminded me of the importance of considering the viewer/audience so that the artist and viewer meet in the middle. I think I've come to a narrower question, which is still a bit hazy at the moment: My objective is to inform about the visual language of 1960s art through the medium of dimensional space. 

3d printing
We've started to make 3D forms in TinkerCAD and I just finished my first 3d print. It's not completely fool-proof though, and has some limitations you have to put into consideration before printing. Things can't be floating in mid-air, and there has to be supports for parts that jut out or are not supported by something underneath.



museum experience design
After talking with Kelly a little more about narrowing down my degree project question, I started researching into museum experience design.

This gave me the idea to create something interactive using multiples of something
...Maybe through using the CNC router

City Museum

visual language of the 60s
Steve Whitacre has a background in architecture and sculpture, so I thought he would have insight on what I want to do. He brought up important points about experiential design and how user-centered it is. This sounds obvious, but architecture should 100% cater to people in the space. When I showed him photographs of the City Museum, he first responded by saying it looked dangerous. He emphasized the importance of making the viewer feel safe, meeting them to where they are, and fulfilling their needs/wants when going to the space. He asked me to consider whether or not I would be approaching people in an environment where they expect a certain type of experience, or whether the piece would be subtle and stumbled upon, relying on the "glance." When I told him that I was interested in 1960s art history, he gave me the idea of researching the visual language of the 60s and visualizing that through space and graphics.



No comments:

Post a Comment