Mary Lim

Thursday, May 12, 2016

dfab: remarkable thing #10

I can't stress enough how practical this class is for me and for any art student. This class scored me an internship with Populous, and now I'm going to work there full-time! It was a really helpful class to learn how to use programs like Cura, Meshmixer, Rhino, and others. I now know the basics of how to use a 3D printer, CNC router, and laser printer. In terms of instruction, a more interactive session would be beneficial, as opposed to watching the instructor go through the programs on their own. The class website could use some clarity in terms of how things are categorized (like Instructions, Announcements, Documents....). I think it needs clearer labels. For including conceptual thinking into our projects, I think it is necessary but not the priority. I think incorporating a concept is taking one step further and utilizing our knowledge of the program to make something of our own. As we are learning new programs, it is difficult to make clearly intentional work because we do not know the ins and outs of the program yet. Overall, I am really glad I took this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment